University of Surrey approached Blue Tea with a distinct challenge: They were seeking to create a modern, advanced and comprehensive online system that would facilitate behavioural psychology assessments for teams within the NHS, ranging from maternity to cancer departments. Their previous system, MDT fit, which Blue Tea also developed, won an award for innovation in the treatment of cancer. But since its initial launch in 2012, technology and needs had evolved. There was a demand for a responsive web application which could assess team dynamics, cater to different user roles and ensure patient care quality through effective team collaboration.
Their initial challenges were:
The system was to be accessed by members of all ranks in the NHS teams, from junior staff to consultants, with the aim to gather detailed responses.
These would be subsequently analysed by experts who would provide recommendations for improved teamwork, which would in turn result in higher patient care standards.
Moreover, there was a need for this system to be scalable, ensuring accessibility, security (with a focus on data privacy), and have the ability to adapt and change based on future requirements.
Blue Tea embarked on this project with a series of digital solution workshops, commencing in early 2021. We proposed a solution built around key components like:
- Responsive Web Application Development: The system was created to be accessed on various devices – desktops, tablets or mobiles – ensuring that staff, irrespective of their role, could easily provide feedback.
- Survey component/questionnaire development: A tailored questionnaire was developed to gather comprehensive feedback from every team member, from nurses to senior doctors.
- API Development & Integrations: Integration features like Adobe PDF and Charting were incorporated. This facilitated a seamless, real-time flow of information, making it easier for experts to analyse and provide recommendations.
- Single Sign-on & Email functionalities: This was incorporated to ensure ease of access and to communicate essential information and updates.
The project leveraged technologies such as Ruby on Rails, React, Postgres database servers and was built on Amazon Web Services. The solution was designed with a keen focus on preserving anonymity and confidentiality, leveraging Blue Tea’s expertise in information governance and data privacy laws. As a testament to their commitment to data security, Blue Tea holds the ISO 27001 certification.
- Efficiency and Scalability: The TeamQI system provided a seamless, automated alternative to manual survey analysis and reporting. This was particularly beneficial given the small team behind TeamQI consisted of only three part-time researchers.
- Enhanced Team Collaboration: With the insights provided, teams were better equipped to resolve internal challenges and improve their collaboration, directly benefiting patient care.
- Data Security: With advanced data protection measures in place, users were assured of their anonymity and the confidentiality of their feedback.
- Flexibility: The system was designed to be adaptable, allowing for the refinement and customisation of questions based on evolving needs.
- Accessibility: With its responsive design, the TeamQI system ensured accessibility for all users, irrespective of their technical literacy or device they were accessing it from.
In conclusion, the partnership between Blue Tea and the University of Surrey
for the development of TeamQI stands as a testament to Blue Tea’s ethos:
Working closely with clients to ensure mutual success.